Grants for Period House Projects

Work on Grade I and Grade II* listed buildings may attract grants from English Heritage or the local authority. Grade II buildings rarely get these grants.

Local authorities may make grants for any building of architectural or historic interest and are not restricted to outstanding buildings or even to listed buildings. Please contact the appropriate County and District Councils, or in London, the Borough Council.

Another source of grants is a trust protecting buildings in a specific area or perhaps of a particular type. These can be found in the Directory of Grant Making Trusts available from larger libraries.

Another good source of information is the web site 'Funds for Historic Buildings' (FFHB) supported by The Architectural Heritage Fund. This has a search facility. For example if you are a private individual, with a secular building in the north west of England, there are some 15 possibilities, although unfortunately few of these will be useful to most homeowners.