Draughty floorboards.

Forum for discussing period houses.

Draughty floorboards.

Postby Haydn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:43 pm

I am considering having the Victorian floorboards sanded and sealed in my hallway and lounge. I have been told that this will result in very uncomfortable draughts due to the sub-floor ventilation grills. Can anyone suggest a tried and tested way of overcoming this. I've read that a mixture of sawdust and PVA glue can be used to plug the gaps however this will fall through eventually in heavy use areas.
Haydn

Floorboard gaps

Postby Simon TL » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Haydn

Larger gaps are best filled with a tapered strip of wood - driven into the gap and then planed off.

I suspect that no approaches are 'maintenance free' but then nor is a carpet.

We did not notice particularly bad draughts this winter and nor were the floors cold.
Simon TL

Gapseal

Postby jkgray » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Here is one suitable product - I have recently ordered a sample but have not installed yet so can;t really give an opinion on whether it is any good:

http://www.gapseal.co.uk/
jkgray

Postby tim smedley » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:40 pm

The issue with any filler solution is that over time the filler simply falls out.

If you have access to the floorboards from underneath, you could first tack/nail/staple hardboard strips to the underside of floorboard. This would mean whichever option you go for is likely to have a far longer life span - if not indefinite. Sounds a great idea for downstairs, but all hinges on the gap between the floorboards & the ground - not an option in my case!

The Gapseal soultion is a clever one, but i suspect it may not look as good as a filled floor. I would be interested to see how it fairs once it has been tried out.

Please do let us know how you get on - this is an old chestnut no one has resolved yet!
tim smedley

Return to Bricks and Brass